-
August 11th, 2007, 09:13 PM
#1
Inactive Member
First a word of thanks. I have gotten so much advice and acquired knowledge from folks here and my other hang-out audioasylum. It is very kind for those of you who have lived and learned so much to share with others.
I have 605a's and A7-500's. (This is not a post about what to sell, keep or buy. I'm keeping them all.) I had the A7's in my main system which doubles as a HT setup for about a year when I got the 605's. The A7's are still stock with original XO (n500) so the comparison may not be completely fair. Anyway, the 605's have more bass and with the XO's that I'm currently using sound fantastic to me. No glaring weaknesses as far as I'm concerned. The ability to image and present a close facsimili of stage compares favorably to a lot of modern stuff that I've heard. The A7's presented the mid range so effortlessly and were very dynamic. The 605's will stay in the HT but the A7's will get the XO caps replaced and go back into service as a stereo setup.
Here's the question for those who have experienced both. How would you compare the two?
FYI. My 605s are in custom cabinets that are about 9l and ported. My A7s use 808-8A, 416-8A and 511 components in stock cabinet.
-
August 12th, 2007, 01:38 AM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
The A7s should eat the 605's in reflex cabs lunch in the mid bass department all day long. The midrange horns are strikingly superior in terms of dynamics.
But, in a living room, like you say, the stereo imaging of the duplex is a joy to listen to.
Except for imaging and size I'll take the A7-500s.
Ya got 416s in the A7 and think the 605 bass goes lower? hmmmm...really? I thought the 605 basically had a 416 woofer. Probably old guy or gm or one of the other gurus here will have comments on the reflex design of the a7 cab.
You also said you had a 9l....liter? cab size for the 605's? What size is that in cubic feet?
Anyway, you've got two great sets of speakers.
-
August 12th, 2007, 01:48 AM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Mac---The A7 has a stepped response; the mid and upper bass is elevated in level above the low bass because of it's horn loading, the result is that an A7 sounds bass-shy compared to a well done 605.
Overall I like 605s better than A7s because of the 605's better, more robust tonal balance. However the A7 has better clarity between, oh, 150 to 1600 hz, the 605s sound a little warm and mellow in that range compared to A7s. The 605s image better IME.
I've sold off a few sets of A7s but my 605s have been keepers.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28222319 times.
Bookmarks